Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Setting a Goal

A family picture before the Tyranena Beer Run 1/6th marathon

They say that those who write down their goals are more likely to achieve them, so I'll just say it: I'd like to run a half marathon. Lots of supportive friends and family have let me know they think I'm capable of running this distance, but I'm like that childhood playmate who, when challenged to do something particularly difficult says, "I could do that if I wanted. I just don't want to." Here are the reasons I often give for "not wanting" to run a half marathon.

1. I don't have the time to train. Taking 1-2 hrs out of my day to run seems like a waste when I have a baby, a husband, and a career to worry about.

2. Shouldn't I be devoting my time to something that actually helps people? Sure, long distance runners often say that their running is for this cause or that cause, but wouldn't it be better to spend the two hours a day it takes to train volunteering at a soup kitchen or something?

3. The American Heart Associate says 30 min of aerobic exercise a day is all that's needed for great heart health. So doing any more than that has very little health benefit and, to be honest, is probably unhealthy when you consider the wear and tear on your body and frequent injuries of runners.

4. I'm an extrovert. There's nothing fun to me about spending 2 hrs running through the woods by myself. An Ipod is no substitute for real human presence and conversation.

5. Running is an addiction. Let's just be honest. People who run a lot get addicted. Addictions are bad. I shouldn't need to "depend" on exercise like that.

6. If I run, I'll need to consume more calories. People in Africa are starving. Why should I do something that will cause me to need to eat more than my fair share of the world's food?

7. I don't have the appropriate running gear, and running gear is expensive. Besides, it's too cold to run in the winter in Wisconsin and there's no gear that makes it okay to run in -10 degree weather.

Yes, I realize these last three "reasons" are more "excuses" than anything else. So, runners, I hope you're not offended. I'm not writing these down to criticize you, but to clearly identify my roadblocks-the things that are keeping me from throwing myself into this. I feel at liberty to write these down because the fact is, in spite of all this, I want to run a half marathon!!!!

This past weekend, Kyle and I ran a sixth marathon. The running was fine until about mile 3, where the route conveniently went up hill at the same time we hit the proverbial wall. But when we were finished it felt so good! We weren't trying to set any records (and didn't, in case you were wondering ;) But there was something so refreshing about a nice run on a beautiful fall day, and having achieved a goal, however small it was.

3 comments:

  1. Ann!

    So excited you are blogging about your running journey! (And...may I add you are a fine writer...I was laughing so hard at your excuses/reasons!) Can't wait to see how this goes for you! There's a 10K in Sheboygan on Thanksgiving Day I want to run or a 5K the following weekend in Sheboygan Falls. Feel like coming up to run one of them with me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, I'll run with you! I did a half marathon a couple years ago but some to run with was so important to me actually training and getting it done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support, guys! I would love a running mate (but will be in MD for Thanksgiving, so no 10K for me!) Will keep you posted on my progress...

    ReplyDelete